In this episode astrologer Mark Jones joins the show to discuss some philosophical issues related to astrology, and different arguments that astrologers have about its implications for fate and free will.
During the course of the show Mark and I talk about topics such as the extent to which astrology implies that people’s lives are determined, fate as an external versus an internal force, and whether astrology is a perfect or imperfect system.
For more information about Mark please visit his website at PlutoSchool.com.
Below you will find an outline of some of the different topics that we touched on during the course of the show, followed by links to download or stream the recording.
- Controversial statement to begin with: there is no real approach to astrology that involves us having 100% free will, because the basic premise of astrology is that there is *something* about our lives that is predetermined, however broadly.
- I usually frame this debate on a spectrum from complete determinism to partial determinism.
- Should fate necessarily be conceptualized as something that is negative or bad?
- Are there positive versions or expressions of the fate concept?
- Internal fate versus external fate.
- Meaning and purpose being associated with fate, chaos and purposelessness associated with free will.
- Do the techniques that an astrologer uses impact their views on fate?
- Can things still be completely predetermined even if astrology isn’t capable of fully describing everything about a person’s fate?
- Is it an imperfect system?
- Or it is a perfect system that simply has too many variables for one astrologer to fully understand and know about at any given time.
- Does one level of consciousness or spiritual evolution dictate the degree of fate?
- The Secret, the law of attraction, and the externalization of internal dynamics.
A full transcript of this episode is available: Episode 48 transcript
Listen to This Episode
You can either play this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it as an MP3 to your computer by using the buttons below: