Since this is the first episode I went ahead and introduced myself, and then spent the rest of the time discussing my plans for the show, in order to give the listener some idea as to what they might expect from the podcast in the future.
The purpose of The Astrology Podcast is to provide intermediate and advanced level discussions about topics related to astrology, ranging from explorations of specific techniques, to treatments of issues pertaining to the history and philosophy of the subject.
During the course of the show I gave an overview of some of the different areas that I plan to cover, and provided some examples of specific questions and discussions that will be explored once we get to those shows.
Topics That Will be Covered in Future Episodes
What follows is a breakdown of the different areas that were discussed, as well as some of the questions that were raised about the various issues:
1. The philosophy of astrology
- What is the definition of astrology?
- How does astrology work?
- What are the implications of astrology from a cosmological perspective.
- Issues of fate versus free-will.
- How much is fated?
- Do we have as much free will as we think that we do?
2. Astrological techniques and concepts
- I’m interested in exploring and discussing both modern and ancient astrological techniques in different episodes.
- I think that astrology is going through a period of synthesis, and so I would like to discuss the merits of different traditions and approaches, in order to give people a taste of a variety of different techniques and viewpoints.
3. Ethical issues
- Issues with prediction. Is it ok to predict?
- If an astrologer sees something in a person’s chart, what is their obligation to tell the person about it? Are they obligated? Or does the possibility of a negative reaction trump the sense of obligation?
4. The history of astrology
- Where did astrology come from, and how were certain techniques developed?
- Shows on notable astrologers from the past.
- Historical debates that are occurring in the community today.
5. Interviews with other astrologers
- Bringing on other professional astrologers for interviews.
- Ask them serious questions about their work, and their views on astrology.
6. Astrology news segment
- A segment where I talk about recent news and events that have occurred within in the astrological community, or news that is relevant to astrologers in general.
- For example, some recent news that took place in the past month:
- UAC took place in New Orleans last month.
- Final Kepler graduation.
- Presidential panel predicted that Obama will win.
- Lot of coverage by Reuters, USA today, Headline News, etc.
- Austin Coppock took over as president of the Association for Young Astrologers.
And as I stated at the end of the episode, I’m open to suggestions about other topics that should be covered in future shows. So if you have an idea, please let me know.
A full transcript of this episode is available: Episode 1 transcript
Download or Stream the Podcast
You can either download the show as an MP3 or play it directly from the website by using the buttons below: